The MHE On-site Rapid Coronavirus Test Kit for COVID-19 testing is now available in the UK. Screening for Coronavirus is an essential step in slowing the spread of the disease, allowing for isolation of those infected by the virus and rapid screening for anyone they have been in contact with. We also stock the PCR Coronavirus swab tests for a 48 hour laboratory turnaround for confirmation of positive results.
About the Coronavirus Test Kit
The MHE coronavirus test is a point of care finger prick blood spot test and only uses 2 drops of blood to give results in 15 minutes. The test separately detects Immunoglobulin G (IgG) and Immunoglobulin M (IgM) antibodies, so that you can tell the difference between current and past COVID-19 infection. From the point of infection, the first marker to appear in your blood is IgM, followed by IgG. This immune response enables us to test for infection specifically from COVID-19. The on-site test kits provide cost effective rapid screening, with confirmation via our 48 hour PCR testing laboratory service.
These professional, lateral-flow, blood screening kits are currently in use in hospitals worldwide and are now available in the UK.
They work in a similar way to a diabetes or keto prick-test and are simple to use. However, as they are certified / CE Marked for professional use only, this means that there is an expectation of medical participation or supervision during testing, such as a Doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Is this UK Coronavirus Test Approved?
In terms of Government approval, we understand that some kits may have been initially rejected, however our kits are being manufactured by one of China’s largest Biotech companies and are not only both CE & TUV approved, but as of 18th March 2020 were accepted and registered by the UK Government Medicines & Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) under reference IVD001117 and certified as such.
Public Health England are in regular contact with our manufacturer / supplier. They acknowledge that we are providing kits to medical professionals across the UK, but have requested that we log a qualified professional at each recipient site. This just ensures that the kits remain for professional use only and cannot get into the hands of the general public without appropriate medical supervision. With our PCR coronavirus laboratory test as a confirmation, you can ensure that your results are correct to a gold standard.
As a result, correspondence is underway with both the NHS and Public Health England (PHE) for the supply of these kits to the UK Government for professional medical use. GP surgeries, hospitals and companies across the UK are purchasing and using these kits for the benefit of their staff and patients now.
Accuracy of the MHE Test for Coronavirus:
The MHE Coronavirus Screening Test clinical performance has been independently verified as follows:
Sensitivity: IgG 100%, IgM 95.5%
Specificity: IgG 98%, IgM 100%
Overall Accuracy: IgG 98.7%, IgM 98.6%
Such accuracy is reassuring, but we still recommend that PCR testing is used for confirmation purposes. We carry stocks of the swabs, which are available for immediate dispatch. Please contact us to place an order.
What is the Science behind Coronavirus Testing?
How to Test for Coronavirus / COVID-19
Full and detailed instructions are provided with the kit, but to give you an overview, the professional conducting the test should wear the appropriate and Government recommended personal protective equipment (PPE) which meet BS/EN standards. As of March 2020, this includes disposable gloves, a disposable apron and a fluid-resistant (Type IIR) surgical mask (FRSM). Eye protection is based upon the practitioner’s risk assessment (recommended). Please visit the PPE section of our website to source the appropriate protective equipment.
Test Kit Instructions:
An alcohol swab and a spring loaded single-use lancet are provided with each kit, to enable easy sample collection. Just two drops of blood are required for the test.
Be sure to allow the full 15 minutes before the result is read, to give the device the most chance of detecting IgM and IgG.
COVID-19 / Coronavirus Test Results Interpretation
POSITIVE RESULT – Isolate immediately and inform anyone they have recently been in contact with to enable them to either test or isolate themselves. CALL 111 for further advice. An MHE PCR test swab can be self administered to confirm the result.
“NEGATIVE” RESULT – This does NOT mean someone is safe from infecting others. It means there are insufficient antibodies in the blood to currently show a positive result. As with all current tests, even if negative at the time of the test, it does not stop someone being infected shortly afterwards. If a patient is presenting symptoms, yet has tested negative, please continue to isolate and repeat the test in 7 days.
SCREENING ALONE CANNOT BE USED TO DETERMINE IF SOMEONE IS CLEAR OF THE VIRUS. PCR TESTING ACTS AS CONFIRMATION.
The purpose of corona virus testing is solely to identify those who screen positive and take early action to isolate them. This then enables you to alert anyone that they have had known contact with. By taking early action based on a positive on-site result it may be possible to reduce transmission to others.
A negative test result is no doubt immensely reassuring to a person, but we cannot state that they are completely clear due to the initial window of time from infection to when your body has produced enough antibodies to trigger the test. After infection, symptoms can take up to 7 – 14 days to appear, so please exercise caution and continue to abide by government guidelines and enhanced hygiene practices.
What is Coronavirus or COVID-19?
COVID-19 is a strain of virus which primarily affects the airways and lungs. Common symptoms include are a cough, a high temperature / fever and shortness of breath. This can also be accompanied by muscle pain, sputum production, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, a sore throat, and in some cases the loss of taste and smell. Fortunately, the majority of cases only involve mild symptoms, but some cases result in pneumonia and multi-organ failure.
There is currently no specific recommended treatment for Coronavirus / COVID-19. Most medical interventions aim to alleviate the symptoms until the patient recovers.
Unfortunately, it is not currently known exactly how the virus spreads from person to person, but similar viruses are spread in cough droplets.
On this basis, follow the Government recommended advice:
- Wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds.
- Always wash your hands when you get home or into work.
- Use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze.
- Put used tissues in the bin straight away and wash your hands afterwards.
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
- Practice social distancing and isolate yourself if you fall into a vulnerable group.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.
Order Coronavirus Tests Today:
- Coronavirus Antibody Test Kits (IgM and IgG Antibodies)£214.80 – £2,148.00
You may also be interested in:
- Coronavirus Antibody Test Kits (IgM and IgG Antibodies)£214.80 – £2,148.00
- Government Approved Coronavirus Antigen Test Kits (Lateral Flow Nasal Swab Tests)£237.60 – £2,376.00
- PCR Test Sample Collection Pack (Includes Analysis)£114.00
Terms and Conditions:
- We CANNOT accept cancellations for coronavirus / COVID-19 testing kits once the order has been placed and the goods have been paid for. Due to the nature of the current outbreak, COVID-19 test equipment cannot be returned unless faulty.
- These are professional use test kits and they are to be used by a medical professional or under appropriate medical supervision. They are provided as a pack with 25 kits (with 25 alcohol swabs and lancets) and only 1 dropper bottle of buffer, which services the 25 kits. Individual test kits will be available in the future.
- Negative results do NOT guarantee a subject is virus-free or that they will not, or cannot, contract the virus after testing. The test has demonstrated 98.6% accuracy in independent trials. PCR testing provides a gold standard confirmation of results.
- Due to the high demand and current economic uncertainty, sales of Coronavirus tests must be paid in advance by card or bank transfer. Upon receipt of cleared funds, your order will be added to our distribution schedule and shipped at the earliest opportunity. Please contact us for up-to-date availability on 01283 375093.
- The COVID-19 tests have 24 months’ shelf life from the date of manufacture. As a business, we guarantee a minimum 18 month’s shelf life, but with the national shortage of test kits, a short shelf life is highly unlikely.
The Coronavirus / Covid-19 Kit sold by Medical, Health and Education Ltd is to be used at the recipient’s own risk. We accept no responsibility or liability for misuse of the kit. We provide clear directions for use, linked to current Government guidelines and offer the test kit on the basis that this guidance is followed. This web page and the documentation provided with the equipment is very clear on what the kit can and cannot do. When using the test, we expect all appropriate safety measures to be in place for the safe implementation of the screening procedure, including the appropriate use of personal protective equipment, safe disposal and the correct referral of anyone who screens positive. Any screening test should be confirmed by an alternative method. We provide PCR testing services to confirm results.
.Leave a reply