MHE offer excellence in occupational health services, including health surveillance, screening, monitoring and tailor-made wellbeing services.
We recognise that your employees are the lifeblood of your business. Happy and healthy staff are more productive, loyal, and are less likely to take time away from work. Each year, over 170 million working days are lost in the UK due to sickness absence.
Minimising this absence is essential, because the longer the employee is away from the workplace, the less chance there is of them successfully returning to work.
We also recognise that health surveillance enables businesses to identify ill-health as early as possible, to allow prompt corrective action for the good of all concerned.
Over the years, there has been a significant increase in the number of liability claims and HSE fines or prosecutions made in relation to work-related injuries, accidents and illness. Our services enable businesses to demonstrate their duty of care, whilst minimising absenteeism due to ill-health.
Following the surveillance, a full certificate of fitness is generated for each employee. The consultation, combined with our management referral system creates a comprehensive report which details clear advice on the employee’s health and well-being requirements.
Many businesses are unaware that health surveillance may be required by law if your employees are exposed to certain dangers within the workplace, such as solvents, fumes, dusts, vibration, noise, biological agents, ionising radiation or if they work in compressed air.
Despite the best will in the world, risk assessments followed by control measures aren’t always entirely reliable or effective, so health surveillance ensures that any ill-health affects are identified as soon as possible.
Our dedicated and conscientious staff are able to offer the following core services:
- Vision testing – Our Keystone Computerised Vision Screening Equipment enables us to tailor this service to your specific job role. We are able to test visual range depth, near, far and intermediate, peripheral vision, night vision, and eye coordination.
- Entry medicals – We can provide either a standard entry medical, or dependent on the job role, a more comprehensive entry medical. A standard entry medical would include height, weight, heart rate, blood pressure, BMI, urinalysis, and a detailed general health assessment. Comprehensive medicals can also include or audiometry, spirometry and vision tests.
- Staff monitoring – Wellbeing assessments can be offered as part of an employee benefits package to aid in retention and recruitment, and maintaining a happy, healthy workforce. An assessment can be tailored from any or all of the following: height, weight, BMI, blood pressure, heart rate, you analysis, blood sugars, cholesterol, audiometry, spirometry and vision screening. We can also assist you with any other specific workplace initiatives relating to diet and exercise, health promotion, diabetes, workplace stress, cancer awareness, and drugs and alcohol.
- Spirometry – An assessment of lung function is a reliable way of differentiating between different obstructive airway disorders such as asthma or COPD safe a and other restrictive diseases such as fibrotic lung disease. In addition to monitoring the maximum amount of air that can be expelled from the lungs, we also monitor heart rate, blood pressure, conduct your analysis and a detailed questionnaire. This can form an ongoing programme of respiratory surveillance.
- Audiometry – our audiometry screening process includes an ear examination, monitoring heart rate, blood pressure and urinalysis, along with the audiometry test itself. Exposure to loud noises within the workplace can cause temporary or permanent hearing loss, but ongoing audiometry surveillance can identify any issues.
- Health checks – We offer a wide range of employee surveillance options which include comprehensive health questionnaires. You may choose from any of the following: vision, dermatology, forklift truck driver assessments, working at heights assessment, hand / arm vibration screening, spirometry, audiometry drugs and alcohol screening, night worker assessments, confined spaces medicals and new starter medicals. We are able to offer specialist testing if required by COSHH risk assessment.
- Drug and alcohol testing – Our fully trained staff can collect a urine and breath sample under full chain of custody to test for a wide range of drugs and alcohol. As standard, we screen for alcohol, amphetamines, benzodiazepines, cannabis, cocaine, methadone, methamphetamines, MDMA, ketamine, opiates, and tramadol. Other substances can be tested upon request. Any non-negative samples are sent away to the laboratory for evidential analysis to support any disciplinary action, in line with our client’s policy.
- Sickness absence management – This confidential service enables our trained nurses to assist employees in managing their illness and any associated sickness absence. With appropriate consent, we can provide a comprehensive report addressing the company’s concerns and providing realistic advice on a route forward. We can advise on rehabilitation of employees, help prevent employees becoming unwell as a result of their work, support a phased return to work, make recommendations in relation to work adjustments or on how to support employees with disabilities, or advise on restrictions on duties which may enable somebody to continue to operate in their current role.